[Xotcl] Collections

MichaelL at frogware.com MichaelL at frogware.com
Mon May 12 19:30:39 CEST 2003

I must admit that I was only thinking about elegance, and hadn't thought
about memory and performance implications.

One option, I suppose, is to use a flyweight approach. In other words,
pass the list in as a parameter to some function/object. This is roughly
analogous to using the existing list commands in pure Tcl. The difference
is simply that it would be possible to add a number of convenience
functions in an XOTcl implementation. For example, Tcl doesn't have a
simple "add only if it isn't there" command or a simple "copy list"
command (you use lrange with specific arguments) or a simple "delete
element" command (you use lreplace with specific arguments). Such an
approach would only be a small improvement, but maybe it would be enough.
It would certainly be easier than a full implementation of lightweigt
objects. :-)

You do, however, hint that there may be plans for ongoing development. Are
there specific plans, or just a general interest is evolving it "somehow"?

Gustaf Neumann <neumann at wu-wien.ac.at> wrote on 05/12/2003 12:39:44 PM:

> On Monday 12 May 2003 17:36, Uwe Zdun wrote:
> > This corresponds to the idea of making filters etc themselves objects.
> > I like this idea from a conceptual point of view. Implementation-wise
> > it could be a larger undertaking ... the problem is that these
> > "collections" manage different things at the C-code level (Tcl_Obj*s,
Cmds,